Monday, February 5, 2018

For Every Window That Closes A Barn Door Will Open









 Progress on the new barn, made of old and recycled materials, has been slow with all the debris that has accompanied our Illinois winter this year. Debris in the form of rain, ice, sleet and again tonight, more snow.

Young folk around here have been heard to say it's a rough winter while I keep saying, "Remember the snow of 1967 in Chicago? Not THAT was a tough winter" These kids.


Image result for 1967 Chicago snow storm
Chicago, January 1967   24 inches of snow in one day.

Anyway, Keith does what he can on the barn as weather allows. Yesterday he installed the door going into his shop area. It's a beaut isn't it? We found it-frame and all- at a garage sale last summer for just $20. Sure it's on the ornate 80's side with its gold trimmed glass oval, but it's sturdy and big. The outside gray goes pretty well with the weathered gray of the barn steel. The funny thing is, it's a better door than either Keith or I have ever had on a house of ours-let alone a barn-in our entire lives!





The inside of the door is white and goes with nothing and everything simultaneously. The most important aspect of the door is the fact that just a little bit more of winter stays OUTSIDE of the barn. Except of course for the snow we track in with us. 

12 comments:

  1. That door looks gorgeous in the barn :D We have a little snow here too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! Construction during the winter isn't a lot of fun. Good for Keith! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. I'll pass that on to my contractor, er... husband.

      Delete
  3. I used to live in places that had some barns that were ugly, but they worked , I had to add doors,walls to keep critters from getting my chickens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We once had a machine shed built for us on our old farm. It cost over $50,000. Other than the shop floor in that one being heated, it really offered little other benefit. It looked pretty but kept the hay dry, just the same as our ugly building.

      Delete
  4. What a fancy door, it leads you to beg what's inside :)
    What a bargain !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like my blog buddy Lorna Sixsmith said on FB this am, it's very "posh". It makes me grin every time I see it. What next I wonder; a dashing man to operate an inside elevator?

      Delete
  5. Oh I LOVE the door...it reminds me of a friend in high school, she lived in "little Italy" and had that kind of door. Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gold in the door just reminds me of an old neighbor, Mrs. Wandless. She was as hip as Carol Brady of The Brady Bunch.

      Delete
  6. That is very cool; it's almost like a chic boutique door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Chic boutique" I think that shall be the new nickname for our barn.

      Delete

Comments are good, as long as you're a real person and not some goof telling me how you were cured of hepatitis by snorting a pulverized neon blue crayon. Your comments don't even have to agree with my viewpoint, I love a good discussion, but civility does matter.